Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Saturday Night That Never Was

Part 1
Ok, it all started like this. I ended my 5+ hour treck of paper writing in the library - where I posted yesterday's rant about that god forsaken place. Then I packed up my crap (most of which was already still packed from last weekend) and headed home around 5:15 p.m. I made it about halfway home, to Marineland (which is a low-budget Sea World type place that has been closed for awhile, and a town). My car magically stopped working, luckily I was able to pull into the UF research building thing there (I thought of Sara) and called my dad. He thought the engine might be wet from puddles (since its been raining 24/7 here for the past week mostly). So I turned the car off and then back seemed to be driving ok. And then I stopped again right in front on the sign for the town of Hammock. I've always wanted to blog about the random town names on that part of AIA between Flagler and St. Aug...anyway.

So there I was, on the side of the was probably around 5:45 by then. I called my dad again, he thought it might be the oil. I checked the oil, it seemed a bit low, so I put some oil in the there that I found in the truck - lucky I thought right? Still wouldn't drive. Then I overhear my dad telling the woman who's daughter sold him the car. He then asked me how much gas I had in the car. "A quarter of a tank," I said. My dad replied by saying that he forgot to tell me when he bought that car, that the gas gauge on it was messed up. A quarter of a tank means its EMPTY. I ran out of gas! But it wasn't my fault.

Part 2

My dad called AAA, said it was an emergency and they said they'd be there asap, an hour at the latest. Ok. This was probably around 6:15. It would have taken my dad longer to drive there so I waited. Time really passes slow when you have NOTHING TO DO, sitting on the side of the road, with car whizzing past you. So I called my dad back a few times, I called my sister, and I read "The Robber Bride" by Margret Atwood for my Literature and Women class. By around 7pm my dad called my back again. AAA somehow thought that near Marineland sounded a lot like MIAMI so guess what? THEY WENT THERE. (For those who don't know Miami is like 5 hours south of us). YEAH IT GOT THAT BAD. It started getting dark and I started getting tired. Finally, my dad called back again to say my brother Chris was coming to get me, so that we could go get gas, and then I could drive home. By 8:30 I was on my way merrily down the road. Emotion, Exhausted, and knowing that my dad owed me big time. And to never trust AAA again, because even after being dispatched AGAIN to the RIGHT PLACE - they never came.

That was my Saturday night that never was.


Sara said...

WTF DUDE?!?!?! Reminds me of the time I blew out a tire on 95 near St. Augustine and AARP told me they were coming, then cancelled without telling me and I had to get a cop to change my tire. He was very nice. So after that little incident, guess which service my parents switched to? That's right, AAA.

Juls said...

LOL Dude, just never get stuck anywhere ever again then...because seriously it was CRAZY.

Fiona said...

You poor thing that sounds awful, and scary being stuck out there on your own like that. Glad you got back safely in the end!
I love your new layout, really nice design :-)